Thursday 20 September 2012

Truck'N Tailgate for Prostate Cancer

I found out about the Truck'N Tailgate for Prostate Cancer event on the Toronto Food Trucks website: On Sept. 20, from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., five trucks including Gourmet Gringos, Stuft Gourmet Sausages, Curbside Bliss Cupcakes, Hogtown Smoke and Caplansky’s Deli Truck will be serving up eats on Lombard St. between Victoria St and Church St.

I arranged to meet up with some friends for lunch and we took a divide and conquer approach. 
My friend went to Gourmet Gringos (GG):
 
(Photo courtesy of S.M.)
(Photo courtesy of S.M.)

I went to Stuft Gourmet Sausages (SGS):
 and my other friend went to Caplansky's Deli Truck. 

Our Haul...
From top to bottom: Baja Fish Tacos (GG), Creole Turducken with chimmichurri sauce (SGS) and Barbacoa quesadillas (GG)
1) Baja Fish tacos = grilled mahi-mahi + chipotle aioli + coleslaw + guacamole. We found that there wasn't enough sauce on the tacos even after the coleslaw and aioli, we felt that the tacos were really dry. I would probably give them a 6/10. 
2) Creole Turducken sausage (turkey, duck, chicken seasoned in Creole spices) with chimichurri sauce (the green stuff). I wasn't really impressed by this either - the sausage had a lot going on with so many herbs and spices in the mixture. It was a relatively huge portion too, but probably not worth the $9 price tag. I'd rate it 7/10 because it was more filling than the fish tacos.
3) Barbacoa (mole braised short ribs + cilantro + onions) quesadillas were AMAZING! The melty cheese, fresh tomatoes & peppers, succulent tender beef and nicely fried tortilla made this finger-licking good! and combined with the dipping sauce on the side made it even better. I'd definitely order this one at Gourmet Gringos again!

Pulled Pork Slider $5 and sweet potato fries (Caplansky's Deli Truck)

1 comment:

  1. It's a lovely day! I really appreciate the fun you have shared here. My alternative prostate cancer treatments center loves all the pictures you have shared here. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete