Thursday 11 October 2012

Frangipane

Update: Bakery has closed. 

I was seriously craving tarts today: so I did my research, grabbed my Metropass and set off to satisfy my sweet tooth.
I got off at Dupont station a little disoriented, but luckily I remembered the directions on the website and I immediately started heading in the direction of the LCBO. 

Oooh la la!

White chocolate cheesecake tart with French caramel topping $5.50
Appearances are deceiving...I had to ask the lady at the counter to repeat the name of the tart because I was so sure it was a pumpkin tart or some other autumn inspired tart. 
When I actually tried it - OMG Yum! The french caramel topping was sweet, rich and super decadent. It overpowered the cheesecake, but I didn't care because I couldn't get enough of it! It wasn't overwhelmingly sweet: I thought it was similar to a dulce de leche cheesecake, but the caramel topping was tastier, more viscous and heavy than dulce de leche. 
I think I've been spoiled by Clafouti's pie crusts which are clean, neat, delicious and not crumbly. The pie crusts at Frangipane just couldn't compare. 

Apple almond tart $5.50
Caramelized apple slices fanned over a base of almond frangipane. 
Really delicious! A great apple almond tart! I love their frangipane - it's amazing! 

Overall: The tarts are really good! It's a little pricier than some of the other places, but it's also slightly larger. The selection isn't as great, but you can also pre-order the tart you want in advance.

Frangipane on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment