Thursday 20 November 2014

Bite Bar

Update: Store has closed.
November 20, 2014

I came back to try the South Indian coffee after another coworker mentioned it. 
South Indian coffee
Blended hazelnut coffee with warm milk and sugar, topped with cocoa. 
I could definitely taste the hazelnut coffee, and I thought it was really nicely done with warm milk and spices. A great drink for a really chilly day!

June 28, 2013

There was quite a bit of publicity early this year on Bay Street about Bite Bar. They also had a Buytopia promotion where you could pay $15 for $30 worth of food. My coworker and I decided to give it a shot.

Cute menu: 

I started off easy with 3 bites:
In order from right to left:
1) Mint: The mint icing was thick and heavy. It was a little overwhelming for a bite and would have been nicer with a lighter fluffier chocolate cake. 
1) Cookies and cream: light icing and sprinkled cookie crumbs on top. I thought this one was okay.
3) Lemon: the icing tasted a bit like dish soap and it was too thick and heavy for the cake. However, I found the lemon cake was really lovely and light.
4) Cookies and cream marshmallow bar was really sweet with all that white chocolate and rice krispies.


Row 1: Cookies and Cream, Strawberry Lemonade, Just Bite It and PB&J
Row 2: Banana Splitz, Red Velvet, C Cup, Mocha Chocolate
Row 3: Mint Chocolate, Strawberry, Lemon and Red Velvet
5) Strawberry lemonade: This bite was really delicious! The sweetness of the strawberry icing really brought out the tangy delicate lemon cake and it was the perfect complement. My favourite bite of the day.
6) Just Bite It: The signature bite with thick raspberry icing and light vanilla cake. I didn't really taste the vodka in the icing, but I thought it was a nice summery dessert.
7) PB&J: A peanut butter and jam cupcake. I only got a little bit of jam because the peanut butter taste stood out, but I really liked the vanilla cinnamon cake underneath it all.
8) Banana Splitz: banana cake with chocolate icing. Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't taste the strawberry puree or caramel icing.
9) Red Velvet: It was a nice take on a simple and classic flavour. The cake was moist and good, but the cream cheese icing was a little too subtle.
10) C cup: Double Chocolate threat with the chocolate icing and chocolate cake (no sprinkles in sight here). Very rich and decadent for chocolate lovers.
11) Mocha chocolate: Ooh caffeine...straight from the coffee bean on top. A hint of caramel from the icing, but the cake was mostly lost on me from the aromatic coffee bean.
12) Strawberry: A nice light flavour of strawberry in the cake with a heavy vanilla butter cream (slightly overpowering) and I found the pink sugar crystals made it a lot sweeter.

Overall: Cute concept and cute store. It's only $1 for a mini indulgence every once in a while.


1 comment:

  1. I found the portions really small so that you could hardly taste anything. Even $1 was too much for a cupcake the size of a teaspoon!

    ReplyDelete