Friday 5 July 2013

Sugarbowl - Edmonton

The pretty Edmonton Skyline:

I had no idea there were so many hills in Edmonton (especially downtown)

 
Apparently Sugarbowl is the Go-To Brunch place in Edmonton. 
 
They had a pretty good beer selection; I thought it was pretty cool that they served craft beer brewed right in Edmonton (this is Aprikat beer by Alley Kat Brewing Company and it was perfect for a sunny day out on a patio - I loved the apricot accents)

 
Lunch Menu (Brunch is only served on Saturdays and Sundays)

Chicken & Waffles with maple butter
Yum! I loved the simple and sweet maple butter on top of the fried chicken breast and waffles. It was a good balance between not being too syrupy sweet or overpoweringly rich and heavy. I do wish there was more of it for my waffles because it was so good! (I think my chicken got most of the drizzle). The fried chicken was a huge meaty portion with nicely seasoned white meat and there was a simple mixed green salad on the side. 

 
Huevos Rancheros 
With corn tortilla, spicy beans, two poached eggs, mixed cheese, sour cream, salsa and cilantro
The plate was super hot and according to my friend, the huevos rancheros looked different from the last time she saw them (perhaps a different brunch portion?). It was pretty tasty with the salsa verde, black beans, sour cream, soggy tortillas and poached eggs. 

Overall: Since we didn't eat breakfast, this served as my Friday brunch. It's a popular place with locals as you can tell from the line-up outside the restaurant for lunch and it was probably also because the service was a little slow. The food was good and reasonably priced (mostly because you barely pay tax in Alberta 5% GST - it's such a nice change from Ontario's 13% HST). 


No comments:

Post a Comment