Saturday 4 November 2017

Keung's Restaurant

November 4, 2017
In my quest to find a replacement "HK style ketchup spaghetti", I went with some friends to Keung's restaurant for dinner. 
Yummy HK milk tea

Baked Shredded Chicken spaghetti with tomato sauce
The tomato sauce was really sweet and it just tasted weird. I didn't like it at all, but I finished it because I was starving after Pursuit OCR. 

September 28, 2013
Whenever I have stomach problems or get sick, I eat Congee. Therefore, when I think of congee I just associate that state of being sick (and recovering faster) with it.


Keung's Restaurant is known for their congee.
They have a special Salted Bone Congee on weekends and it's delicious! It has a chili oil and huge chunks of pork bone.


Chef style Chicken Congee
Congee with chicken, peanuts, chopped ginger, green onions and shallots
There wasn't a lot of balance in the congee because the actual congee was watery and there were too many toppings making the congee obviously chunky in certain places. Also, I don't like when the congee is made with bone-in chicken because the chicken bone pieces shatter and mess up the texture of the congee. Otherwise, the flavour was there - it just wasn't as pleasant to eat. I miss the Chicken & Noodles Chinese Restaurant that used to be at 1 Glen Watford Drive in Scarborough (that was my go-to congee place and I haven't been able to find a place that can recreate it since).


Pan Fried Dried Shrimp Rice Noodle Roll
I think the rice noodle roll was supposed to be a little crispy, but instead it was like 10 seconds on the pan and then plated. The rolls all stuck together and they were pretty bland and tasteless. The sauces on the side were really good though and helped mask some of the blandness.

Overall: Food was mediocre, but I'd come back for the Salted Pork Bone Congee though (we got that as take-out and it came in a huge 4L Ice-cream tub container and it was delicious). Service was relatively fast, but they missed subtle things like refilling tea and letting us know that you have to go up to pay rather than bringing us the bill.


No comments:

Post a Comment