Friday 31 October 2014

Spring Villa Chinese Cuisine

Spring Villa Chinese Cuisine has been in the same location for years, but I don't recall trying it. I took today off work to run some errands, so we went before 11 am to get the discount ($2.85 for any size dim sum dish). 


Tofu stuffed with fish paste
I liked the combination of crispy fried outside with the meaty fish paste and soft tofu. Crunchy, mushy and tasty probably describes it best.

Rice noodles with shrimp and soy sauce

Har Gow, Steamed Vegetable Dumpling and Curry Cuttlefish
Everything was pretty good for the most part. I liked the steam vegetable dumplings the best out of these three. I think I would have liked the curry cuttlefish is they absorbed more of the curry flavour rather than just relying on the sauce at the bottom of the dish. 

Beef brisket and tendon stew in clear soup and egg dumpling in soup
The beef brisket and tendon in clear soup is not always available at Chinese restaurants since not a lot of people like the slightly acidic flavour that comes with the clear broth. I'm personally not a big fan of it either, but I thought it would be interesting to try it. You can definitely taste the distinct flavours of the brisket and tendon this way, but the acidic soup was not very pleasant in my opinion and I would much rather have it with the soy sauce to add some sweetness. 

  
Siu Mai
Pretty good, but not as good as Dragon Boat's

Overall: Good dim sum at Spring Villa. It's the same price as Dragon Boat's dim sum, but there's no line up to get in and the servers have time to actually pay attention and serve you properly.  The location is convenient too - off the 404 on Woodbine.


No comments:

Post a Comment