Saturday 15 November 2014

Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup & Bibimbap

I've been craving Ginseng Chicken soup for the last few weeks. It was probably because (1) I've been watching way too many Korean Dramas and (2) thinking back on my recent trip to South Korea and the amazing Ginseng Chicken soup I had in Seoul).
After asking around, we found Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup and Bibimbap on Leslie Street.

 


Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup & Bibambap Menu
I was a little surprised that not everyone in the restaurant was ordering the Ginseng Chicken soup that they're named for.

Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup (samgyetang)
The soup came out bubbling hot with a bowl of noodles on the side.
The bowl was huge! I definitely didn't expect that, but it was also a little deceiving too since the chicken looked really tiny in comparison to the bowl.
The chicken was a little bland in flavour and there wasn't a lot of ginseng stuffed into the chicken, but it was present. Compared to the one I had in Seoul, it needed more chicken essence, spice and vegetables to make it taste better. However, it did deliver the simple and traditional samgyetang soup that I wanted and it satisfied my craving.
The side dishes were really good! Especially the tofu and chapchae - we ordered a lot more servings of those.

Hot Stone Bibambap
Very pretty! It was good and the hot stone was actually hot enough to make the rice stick to the sides of the bowl so that some of the rice had a bit of a crust to it.

Overall: The Ginseng Chicken Soup was pretty good - it's not as great as the one I had in Seoul, but it'll do. On the other hand, the side dishes I had here were much better than most of the side dishes I had in South Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment