Friday 29 January 2016

Cafe California

Jan 29, 2016

Some of my coworkers wanted to do a Winterlicious lunch for $18, so we came to Cafe California. (*Items I would recommend and/or order again)

Winter Bruschetta (vegetarian)
With goat cheese, cranberries and apples

Santa Barbara Salad (vegetarian)
Mixed greens with pine nuts, raisins, mushrooms, onions and a sun-dried tomato pesto vinaigrette

Warm Spinach and Artichoke Dip (vegetarian)
Topped with roasted red peppers and served with warm naan bread

Lamb Souvlaki
Skewers of tender lamb, served with greek salad, basmati rice, and tzatziki sauce

My coworker said the lamb was really tasty and tender
6oz Striploin Steak
In a mushroom brandy sauce, and served with roast potatoes and market vegetable
The steak was rather tough even though I got it medium rare - it was a tougher and older cut of meat. 

Cajun Tilapia
Herb and spice crusted filet of tilapia, in a white wine dill cream sauce, served with basmati rice and market vegetables

Warm Chocolate Brownie (vegetarian)
With Crème Brulee Crème Fraiche
Tia Maria Cheesecake
The cheesecake was kind of interesting - definitely didn't taste like a typical cheesecake and the crust was kind of like the Japanese cheesecake.

February 10, 2015
Ever since the Winterlicious menus came out, I've been looking forward to the $25 dinner menu at Cafe California. (*Items I would recommend and/or order again)




Calamari Diablo with chili aioli
It was a nice filling portion for an appetizer. The calamari was breaded and fried and worked well with the aioli.


Lobster Mac & Cheese
I was really looking forward to this when I first saw the menu. Lobster mac & cheese is usually served as a main rather than an appetizer (and you get filet mignon for $25 too? that's a ridiculously good deal). The mac & cheese was super creamy with the three cheese sauce and there were 2-3 pieces of lobster on top. The breadcrumbs on top were nice, but I would have liked it even more if they baked the appetizer until there was a nice crust on top of the mac and cheese.


8 oz Filet Mignon with Madeira sauce and vegetables
The filet mignon was done really well! Lots of meat and cooked to perfection - tender and juicy.
I wasn't sure if I'd like the gorgonzola (blue cheese) on top, but I think it paired nicely with the meat and the sauce. A very yummy and filling portion!


Apple Crumble Tart
When we got the tart, it looked really nice, but as soon as I dug a fork in - it crumbled.
The apple crumble was a little too literal: the crust was not very good and the apple and crumble part were nice, but it's not that easy to enjoy it when the crust fails to hold it all together.

Amarula Liqueur Cheesecake
This cheesecake was really nicely done. It had great flavour from the amarula liqueur and it was moist with a good solid crust. I almost wish I had more - but I was pretty full from the other two courses.

Overall: Great value for money and very yummy food at Cafe California! The service was great and the food came out fast and very well done - and it's such a bargain for lobster mac & cheese and filet mignon.


No comments:

Post a Comment