Friday 22 April 2016

Eight4Nine - Palm Springs

After a 12 hour journey (including airport wait time) from Toronto (and Vancouver), I landed in Palm Springs ready for my Coachella Weekend! (Well not really ready - all I felt ready for was a shower and a nap after my long day of travel).

So sunny and hot! I'm loving this t-shirts/tank tops and shorts temperature after Toronto's chilly winter.

On my friend's recommendation (based off the New York Times), we went to eat at Eight4Nine.
Really cool building!
  

Menu

We knew right away we were all going to get the four course meal!

First Impression
Blackberry, Serrano ham and cantaloupe with balsamic vinaigrette
A nice starter - you've got the play on flavours and textures with sweet, savoury, sour and tangy all wrapped together on a skewer as an amuse bouche.

Second Impression
Shrimp chips and ahi tuna poke
My first poke! Although pokes are now become super popular outside of Hawaii (it's sort of expanding like the ramen craze).  I thought this was pretty good, but after trying my friend's shoyu pork belly, I think I would much rather get that because it was so delicious!

The Main Event
Beef Tenderloin
Potato planks is a really apt name for the potatoes.  The presentation was really nice (even though we were eating outside on the patio in the dark).  The turnips and root vegetables were rather grainy and fiberous and not the best complement to the melt-in-your mouth tenderloin.

Finale
Coachella Lime Pie
I love lime tarts and key lime pie - so I had some pretty high expectations.  It was a nice pie with the right amount of sweetness and tartness, but it didn't really wow me.


Nanaimo Bar
This was not really a nanaimo bar at all.  It was a frozen multi-layer custard cake with a dense raspberry layer and dark chocolate cake with chocolate glaze on top.

Overall: Great four-course meal and good service at Eight4Nine.  It was a great way to start off Coachella in Palm Springs the day before the festivities begin!


Eight 4 Nine Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment