Sunday 9 July 2017

Auberge du Pommier

July 9, 2017
Back for Summerlicious! Their $28 lunch menu seemed pretty good.
*Items in red are what I would order again


Terrine: foie gras and canard with carrot and gooseberry gastrique
The terrine was really nice and it was a great combination of flavours from the carrots, sauce and spices on top.


Saumon with asparagus, caper and corn relish, polenta and black lentils
The salmon was nice and crispy on the outside and really flaky and delicious once your fork cut into it. The corn and caper relish added a nice saltiness, but I wasn't really a fan of the polenta.


Boeuf - grilled flat iron steak with pearl onions, carrots, mashed potatoes and a watercress pesto
The steak was a perfect medium rare and very yummy. The presentation was a little strange to me with the triangles of beef, but other than that, there wasn't anything bad I could say about the dish. The watercress pesto was really interesting - I wouldn't have thought of that, but it was pretty tasty.


Crème Brûlée with muscovado, pistachio sponge, blackberries and cloudberries
This was so not what I was expecting for crème brûlée - it was different and unique. I wish there was more pistachio sponge. 


Chocolat with creme de menthe, bean brittle and hazelnut ice cream
This chocolate dessert was really good! It was rich in flavour and the hazelnut ice cream was spectacular.


Parfait with passionfruit, lime, poached pineapple and coconut glacé
This was nice at first bite, then it was really tart and a little overwhelming.

Overall: It was an okay Summerlicious experience. I think I was so wowed by my dining experience in January below that I felt like my expectations were a lot higher for summer and it didn't really live up to it in the summer. The service was great as always, but I felt like the portions were smaller and the food wasn't as yummy.


January 29, 2017
I didn't have a good experience the last time I went to Auberge du Pommier, so it's been years since I've been back. However, I couldn't help but notice that they had a really good prix fixe lunch menu for $28. Therefore, I thought I'd give it a try again. 
Auberge is an upscale restaurant that serves classic French cuisine. 

*Items in red are what I would order again

Complimentary bread
It was really warm and fluffy with delicious room temperature butter - it's the small subtle things that make a difference in the experience here. 

Soupe of shellfish and squash with yoghurt and pumpkin
The soup was really lovely and so tasty! If you love pumpkin and squash you'll really like this. 

Rabbit and Ham Terrine 
The terrine which is a fatty French forcemeat loaf (similar to a pâté) was really nicely done with nice even layers of the rabbit and ham and some nice accompaniments of apricot piccalilli, mesclun and gingerbread. 
Saumon (Salmon) with potatoes and a mustard cream
The salmon was lovely and perfectly paired with the warm mustard cream and potatoes. I would definitely eat this again, if I didn't have the boeuf (which was amazing). 

Boeuf (Beef) braised short rib with root vegetables and mashed potatoes
OMG the beef just melted in my mouth - it was perfectly braised to a super tender texture and it was so easy to eat that I could've eaten it with a spoon if I wanted to (not that they give you a spoon in a fancy restaurant like Auberge). I could eat this boeuf every day and never get sick of it. I totally understand why so many people love this restaurant now - the beef was phenomenal. 

Tartelette with lemon chamomile curd, meringue and honey
The tartelette was really nice - the lemon was a perfect balance of tart and sweet without being overwhelming and the meringues were perfect. 

Pudding with brioche, maple syrup and rum &raisin ice cream
The pudding was amazing! This was the perfect ending to the meal - it was not too sweet and it was packed with so much flavour and deliciousness. I was super impressed that the meal ended on such a high note. 

Overall: I had a great experience at Auberge du Pommier! The service was fantastic, the food was amazing and the price was really reasonable considering the quality of the food. I almost wish Winterlicious lasted longer so that I could eat the beef and the pudding over and over again. It was so good! I'll definitely be back for the summer edition! 

Auberge du Pommier Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment