Thursday 7 April 2016

Sik Korea

My friend's going away dinner was at Sik Korea. 



Side dishes: Beancurd strips, chap chae, kimchi and broccoli
All were really good - we got quite a few refills. 

Fried Mandu/Gyoza
The mandu were interesting - they had a thicker skin than gyozas and wo tips I've had before, so they were puffier and you could tell these were deep fried instead of pan fried. 
They were still pretty good. 

Tteokbokki (sometimes spelt with a D?)
Spicy Korean Rice Cakes with gochujang (the spicy red chilli sauce) that Korean food usually uses to add flavour to their dishes (kind of like soy sauce for Chinese food). The sauce was a little spicy but it added the flavour and really made the rice cakes taste a lot better. 

Gamjatang
Surprisingly this didn't have the red colour that most gamjatangs I've seen usually have, but the little seeds were really spicy.  This was a huge bowl of pork bones with a ton of meat on the bone which made it a large portion for one person - good value for money here! :) 

Samgyetang (Ginseng Chicken Soup)
A large bowl of soup with a whole chicken stuffed with sticky rice, ginseng and garlic.  I've been searching for a restaurant in Toronto that could recreate the one I had in South Korea.  Unfortunately, this one didn't really satisfy my craving, it was better than the one I had before in Toronto since the soup had more chicken flavour and was a little thicker and hearty than the watery one I had before. 

Overall: Good Korean food at Sik Korea (I understand why my friend recommended it now!) and the service was pretty fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment